Feb 1, 2010

My Childhood memories

Self -awareness/ self-counseling.

All who have had a bad childhood, please raise your hands.

I would not say I had a bad childhood,  I think I had an 'ok' childhood, quite normal for those times. My main source of anxiety in my growing up years stemmed from my mother's differential treatment of my sister and myself. I have not attached importance to it (I try to downplay them) but as Freud and Erikson have endorsed,  bad things that happened in childhood does affect your life and thoughts in the future. In this now, it is mostly what NOT to do with my own children.

I am the middle child, neither the 'youngest' child nor the 'oldest' child, not the only girl but the 'older girl'. These are labels that my mother seemed to attach different values to according to her old-fashioned upbringing. My sister was the pet and favourite and forever  'too young'  even when she was in her twenties, my brother well he was 'a boy', the oldest and so for those 'valid' reasons I had to carry the weight of more chores and be more responsible.
So perhaps that was why I felt that I needed to study harder (buried myself in school and study where I could)  to gain approval, to prove myself and kept quiet without rebelling. My sister was allowed to keep short hair from an early age while I was not allowed to cut it until I was 16 (I'll keep that hair story for another time). As a consequence, my sister was bolder, asked for anything she wanted, I was timid and did not ask for things, I was concerned with budgeting, which somehow my mother always impressed upon me. Mixed into all that of course there were feelings of inferiority that did colour my early years of interaction..[self-conscious]). 
The one thing that worked in my favour, was that I was the only one to get to the University, ... that got approval.

Lately I have been reminded of these memories because of my words/actions with my kids. I have said to my girl a few times she is lucky that her mother (me) is not like my mother. My girl like most teens does not seem to appreciate that she has so much more and seems to take some things for granted.  I get irritated when the kids seem self-absorbed and are unable to see beyond their own needs,  that you cannot have everything you want.   But then, the kids themselves have their share of horrid memories to carry with them, so therefore I have to find a balance but not over-compensate.

I am not distressed by these early memories, I have overcome them is many ways,  I am a different person from what I used to be, I have grown into my own so to speak. I am less bothered by the things my mother says these days than the fact that she still thinks along the old-fashioned vein. Old habits die hard. I have come to terms with her as she is. [My mother].

In the past few months I realise too that I have been subtly raising these issues through reminders with my mom in incidental situations but she merely brushes it aside 'so long ago ....really.. ..don't remember'.  What am I trying to do, I have no idea - hoping for a realization,  purple heart, compensation, to blame her for my present situation.?  No, I don't want to cause her any grief.

Why am I telling my story, perhaps it is to effect a catharsis for myself or perhaps I wish to raise the awareness that stereotyping, favoritism is not right. Such thinking still exists today. 

I can leave well enough alone, but I think I still have to let it out somehow to let it go, bring those nagging thoughts to the forefront.  (..dissolve them or expel them ?).

What I do know, is that a child is capable of seeing, hearing and feeling that some things are not right but may not understand or express them.  Unless they verbalize it, they will never know but keep it within.

8 comments:

  1. My childhood was not much different, not bad, just not so communicative, especially with matters of the heart. But otherwise, both my brother and I were very well cared for and loved. There many events that caused me to be the way I am today. I wish things could have been different. They are not perfect neither am I. They did they best they knew how. Raising my boy, makes me afraid. Will I make the wrong decision for me. So we discuss. I want it to be different for my son, I wanted to be a friend. I share my grievances during my childhood with him and how my parents disciplined us. Somehow opening up gives him greater insights into how and why we think the way we do. I love this experience and so does my boy. To be in the know and a part of our lives. Parent-child relationships are ever changing, hopefully for the better. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you are not talking about me??? I was the second daughter followed by a brother and sister. I know now that I had a OK childhood and may be it would have been sort of good if not for my grandma and few other relations from my Moms side. I need not say more because I have been blah blahing so much about it on my blog.. LOL.
    I have followed the rules of three F's with my kids
    Fair
    Firm and
    Friendly.
    I would never ever be partial to them because my Mom's partiality really spoiled all my childhood fun. It built up a lot of anger in me and no one could understand why it irritated me so..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a middle child, having an older brother, and a younger sister. We had a great upbringing, although we had a Nanny, my Mother was always near by. But on looking back, I think that she could have talked to us more about things. I never felt any anger or anything bad about her, she was just my Mother, somewhere in the background, doing whatever she did, such as having people to tea, while us kids had to stay out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaia: It would have made a big difference if she had treated me fairly. The choices I made in later life would have been different. But yes, sadly our lesson will be for our children's good.

    Farila: I got that idea from your blog, but you were a 'fighter, I wish I had been. I learned to do that much later.

    Alice: you know that's the thing because she is my mother I don't want to hold on to this baggage, I try to remind myself of the other things she did for me in the later years.
    I am glad you had a good upbringing.

    What a coincidence, we are all no 2s..
    Thank you all for sharing, peace to you.
    BM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/2/10

    I was fostered away, I am a girl (supposedly dispensable) but I am thankful for it because my birth mother would have made me miserable. Childhood negatives do not go away no matter how rational we are about them. I just store the memories in a cool dry place and take them out to air once in a while. No damage really.

    sl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear sl, that sounds like a super idea, if you can't dispel them, .. direct them don't let them direct you.
    Thank you
    BM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. I find it freeing to share.
    Hugs, blessings, and prayers,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Appreciate your transparency. Blessings to you dear one. Understanding.....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...