Dec 10, 2009

Old Photo of Myself


Here’s another little fact about me, I hate being photographed, always have. In my Church’s recent 50th Anniversary Souvenir Magazine, I saw an old group photo which was taken 32 years ago. It was a picture taken at a church camp for all the teenagers involved in church groups – both boys and girls.
Firstly my hair was tied up(could see the frizz around my head), my face looked round and moody and I was sitting hunched. I was wearing some strange batik short sleeved blouse (ugghh!) .. and guess what of all the photos they had to sift through to put up here, they found THE ONE where my eyes were closed.

Back then I’d probably have looked at this picture and wished the ground would open up for me to disappear. But today I am getting a good laugh out of it and a good doze of nostalgia.
Good grief, I looked at the young faces of familiar kids and friends – everyone’s hairstyle was just AWFUL. And ok, I don’t feel too bad, not everyone had wonderful T-shirts. But then their eyes were open.

Fondly, I remember BUT I wouldn’t want to re- live those days, care-free though they were, I was so self-conscious then about mingling, (I would call it suppressed too), always sticking close to the clique (this is what comes out of schooling in a convent all the way til 16, plus little exposure otherwise) and didn’t know how to behave around the boys. But fondly I remember this bunch.
This was the bunch of kids including my brother, I hung around with mostly for church activities for several years –  we organized Christmas pageants together (created our own costumes), we played Rounders( version of baseball, and I could bat too to the boys' utter astonishment), Church campfires (put up skids),  we rode each others’ bicycles around the church compound, went to annual church camps.

It's so sad but campfires are almost extinct today. Unless you are in a uniformed group you would probably not have such things organised as outdoor camps.
All familiar faces in this old photo, some of whom I still see today in the same church. Mostly we have all gone our separate ways.

One photo, one moment yet so many moments of memories.

6 comments:

  1. Now you got me thinking of my childhood and growing up years. I remember those bad hair days. The only time I felt at ease with my hairstyle was when I had the Lady Di haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends how I feel if I am heavier than normal, then I do not like to be photographed. Blessings. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not jazzed about having my picture taken. We love having a fire in a pit in our back yard. We do not do it as often as we should, but we love it.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too do not like my own pictures. They just don't ever come out right. I really do not like looking back - the hair! Oh my word - the hair! I gave you an award - come grab it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you would share your photograph with us ... I don't care how I look most of the time.. LOL. I have never been looking in photographs and I have stopped being worried about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing , it's good to know I am not the only who feels this way about self pix..
    I would have put this particular photo down.. if I had the actual copy .. I tried to scan it from the magazine but it was too blur still. But you would have gotten a kick out of those wonderful hairstyles.!! lol
    BM

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...