Sep 14, 2011

Chimes in children's voices

It's Sunday, and I usually take the dog for a walk in the evening and sit in the playground for a while, usually an hour before sunset.  In the past months I have noticed, there are more young children, and from a number of nationalities. It's like a junior UN.

I enjoy this moment when I have it.

It's quite something to watch them interact. They may be strangers initially for about three minutes, but soon they are bosom buddies, screaming, yelling playing catch or hide and seek and chasing each other all over the park. They play together, falling in so easily,  no matter the age difference or skin colour or their accents; the more the merrier. Unspoken rules yet they understand the child's world of play.

As I sit there listening, I find myself undisturbed and sooth; there is a sweetness in the voices, a freedom, ..not a care.I'm lulled into this nether world of innocence for a little while as I rest on a park bench amid plants and trees, lulled by voices like gentle chimes.

I wonder, is this  an example of what Ericc Fromm tried to describe as the 'Shabbat institution' ( a Sunday rest).."rest in the sense of the re-establishment of complete harmony between human beings and between them and nature."

7 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL SOOTHING PEACEFUL...your thoughts evoke that in me.
    Learnt something new too."Shabbat institution"
    Much thanks :)am as usual scribbling it down lest i forget.
    Just curious to know if in between all that soothe you wanted to be a kid again?
    When i watch them the one that looks sombre and tries hard to be the grown up becomes her original self- a kid who refuses to grow up.
    Loved it...all of it.:)
    Btw i wanted you to go through my Wednesdy's thoughts which might give you answers to what you had asked in my last post.
    But i must warn you it is not short so do it at your ease when you have the time and the inclination. No pressures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shivani, I like what you write and how you see my thoughts.. sometimes I do wish I could go back and do some things differently...
    Will visit your Wed thoughts..thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beautiful voices of children is indeed a pleasure in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said! I felt like I was there with you for a moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might be a mini "Shabbat institution," but anything large has to start small. It would be wonderful if little scenes like this lead to something huge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Children often get a bad rep. but their innate
    kindness and non-judgemental attitude and easy
    forgiveness is a marvel to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post. Make a lot of sense if one is quiet to hear sounds that one would not normally hear in stillness. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...