Jan 4, 2010

Sticky about grammar

Grammar stickie...
I am a stickler for grammar. No, I'm not a perfect English major or anything like that, I'm just fussy about speaking right and writing right!. I don't always know all the words but I try. 
Here in Singapore, we have a concoction of local vernacular words/ expressions mixed in with English - to become Singlish... (la, oi, eh ...ah.. makan (eat), kopi (coffee)).

I use it often enough but I am conscious of who and when I use it with, and always in informal, casual situations with familiar people.  After all there are very few habits or characteristics that we as locals can actually call our own, 
We are mostly descendants, some 3-4 generations ago originally from China, India or neighbour, Malaysia. My current generation is proud of who we are here, eventhough they are not really open about it as in waving flags and singing the anthem; but it exists and surfaces when talking points arise over national reps and sportmen. 
While I am proud of the Singlish in a 'nationalistic' sense,  I firmly believe it should not become more than that, an informal attribute and expression among locals.

But speaking properly should be a must have for oneself and for communication to the outside world.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/1/10

    Totally understand where you are coming from. Local speaking habits are attrocious and can be embarassing.
    Eventhough foreigners take it in stride I don't accept it.

    Jt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally can relate. I was a very poor student in school. I only learned more efficiently, by the Grace of God in my later years by pure experience. Singlish. I love it! Blessings dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually trying very hard to teach children where I teach not to mix other language with English when they have to speak (at least officially).. It is so difficult and we have so many of our own Hinglish words. LOL.
    You may have already noticed my stickiness to grammar and spelling ;)even though I am not some kind of big degree holder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/1/10

    Hinglish and Singlish.. what else do we have ..
    Cool new lingo... speak and write right, that's ok,
    but language can be fun.!!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...