Jan 5, 2010

You Can't always have Everything !


Is it possible to have everything you want and be happy ?
I think life is what we make of it BUT God keeps the balance.

The kids constantly lament about unimportant things like why 'I didn't get' perfect eyesight or perfect teeth, 'why didn't God give me more brains, why do I have to study harder than others, why didn't i get straight hair, why they weren't born rich etc etc etc '.

It is difficult for the kids to comprehend when I say that God is always fair or Life is always fair and  'you can't have everything' .  It's difficult for them to get out of the narrow view where they can only see their personal imperfection without being able to look at the many more good things about themselves by comparison.

It's also tough getting them to pay serious attention to the idea that God knows us and sees all,  there is no hiding from him; and we don't always get what we ask for. The question I put back to them - 'do you deserve it' and 'is it good for you'.

------------------------------------
There are many situations when I forget and think too, that others are luckier than me. But I am constantly reminded that nothing stays perfect' and we are given our moments.

I used to think if you have 1 child and that child is perfect, what more could one ask for. You pour all your resources into one lucky child and it pays off well, isn’t that great ?  BUT then I know that no life is perfect and it is forever changing.  
One of my close friends has a son (1 child only by choice), he went to a good school, went abroad to study, came back found a job. BUT my friend recently complained to me ‘he does not want to settle down, he's always out ‘.   I said 'you can’t always have everything !' and she said 'we can only hope', I had to agree.
Ok so maybe I wanted to say GOD is fair !.

Jer 17: 9
" The heart is more devious than any other thing, and is depraved; who can pierce its secrets?
I, Yahweh, search the heart, test the motives, to give each person what his conduct and his actions deserve"

6 comments:

  1. You are right nothing is perfect, I prefer it that way. No room for comparison. Just like what I was ranting in my blog, not wanting the boy to be like the father. I could only hope. But I guess I was still sore about the father's actions to realise my boy is so different. He is kind, generous, loving and more, I can only hope he retains the same God-given attributes as he grows.

    My life has never been perfect, there was a small window but otherwise plagued with all things families would face, but I am glad I moved on. It may not be perfect but it need not be meaningless! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My whole life has been based on the perfect sense that imperfection makes... LOL.
    Fun apart my belief is that we all are made to fit some big puzzle and that is the reason why we are made in a certain way... With our limited sight we do not know what we are actually meant to be.
    Good blog BM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Need to read your words and apply them. Perfection is something I mainly strive for, but am in the process of changing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it's ok to be imperfect, so we can appreciate the perfect moments when they come .. and it keeps us working at it, to strive... there is a purpose always to everything. Thank you.
    Cheers and hugs to you Gaia, Farila and JBR.
    BM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7/1/10

    BM, I really loved your post!! Nobody is perfect. Only God. It's ok to be imperfect and hope to reach somehow perfection step by step.
    hugs
    Betty Manousos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7/1/10

    Thank you so much for your comments on my blog.
    :)
    Betty Manousos

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...