Jan 26, 2010

Random thoughts from stories of old England


I have a thing for old English novels, stories, movies revolving around old England especially late 18th and early 19th Century.  There's something fresh and innocent in the way that young ladies and children are characterized, portrayed in the old English countryside and the way conversations are created.  And romance ah, well, they don't make them like they use too. (lol).
I could not appreciate the novels until my late 20s, when the unfolding of the story becomes less compelling than the imagery, beautiful descriptions, the formal and the flowery language.

And sometimes wisdom comes through in the most unexpected moments.
In this book I am currently reading by Isak Dinesan (Karen Blixen) 'The Angelic Avengers' one of the young ladies(Zosine) says this to her friend(Lucan) who claims she has no imagination and therefore would not experience adventure.
"But perhaps that is just the way of the world .. and destiny will lose her interest in those people who are themselves capable of inventing things. She will leave them to have things happen to them within their own imagination. But with you she will take trouble to contrive the most extraordinary events."

It sounds like - take charge of your life or she(Destiny) will do it for you.
Now that is an interesting thought, a scary thought .. what is destiny's definition of 'extraordinary events' I wonder.

Here's another interesting prose about being Loved  .." The beauty of nature, music, poetry and art are all inextricably bound up with the idea of love. The woman who has denied love, she had then dimly guessed, will no longer dare to learn a poem by heart, to listen to a song, to pick the wild flowers of the woods, or the roses of her garden. Now, in pain and ecstasy, she knew for certain that the magic kingdom of beauty, sweetness and poetry in this world is open to the lovers as to its lawful heirs.".....  
If that is true, at least we do come out of it with more.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting read, I've always wondered about my destiny. So often been said you can change it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!Love it!
    The last prose touched me; so wonderful.!
    Have a great day!
    Bettyxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting BM.. I sat here for quite some time pondering over those words. I don't think we should leave the plans in the hands of destiny... Sometimes things happen for a reason and for good but it is nice to be in control of life most of the times... Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous26/1/10

    I read her other book 'Out of Africa', she paints lovely pictures with her words doesn't she.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous27/1/10

    I too, share your passion for Old England stories during this era. I think they capture the early industrial world, filled with romance and character.

    I want to read this book, and I had no clue she wrote the book Out of Africa. Thanks for stopping by my blog, your comments are always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually live there, and although there are places that I have travelled to and lived at, well, there is no place like home!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...