Dec 16, 2009

A Midnight Walk

A dog is barking,
it goes on and on.
No one is listening.
All else is quiet,
but sounds are abundant.
Televisions strain
through the night air,
like conversations
at each other.
Eyes scan the drive,
my ears have
gone before me.
Soft guitar strums,
a whiff of barbecue
floats by.
Tiny Christmas lights
wink through fences,
and shyly out windows.
A gentle breeze
lifts branches,
black leaves do a jig,
the clouds start to part,
enter a lofty moon.
Shortly she departs.
In and out,
playful stars dart,
disappearing too soon.
Faraway, a faint wail sounds,
alas, another dog
begins his revelry,
the stillness is broken.
A taxi drives by,
to drop a neighbour,
a dog begins howling,
a cat screeches,
dashes for cover,
a trash bin lid falls.
Stillness returns,
the road glistens,
sleep beckons,
televisions chatting,
no one is listening.

(HA -2009)

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous16/12/09

    there's stuff happening yet it feels empty... if you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Midnight walks. Totally different life in the night light or the early morning. Love the post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love late night walks, it's been a long time since I done that. The stillness of the night heightens your senses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BM, this is wonderful!. So many mental pictures!.
    That makes it great.! I love walks but not at night!Though your poem made me change my mind1
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Televisions strain
    through the night air,
    like conversations
    at each other.'

    Never thought of that. Yes, the effect is magical, too. Many thanks, beautiful poem.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...