Dec 14, 2009

O Holy Night

Got my tree up (it's 5ft), done with 25% of my to-do list..and still working on it...almost 10 days more...

Here's a little info about one of my favourite carols - 'O Holy Night'.

Did you know that 'O Holy Night' ('Cantique de Noël') was based on a French poem 'Minuit, chrétiens' (Midnight, Christians) by Placide Cappeau (1808-1877). The music was composed by Adolphe-Charles Adam(1803-1856) in 1847, and translated from French to English by John Sullivan Dwight (1813-1893).  Cappeau was  a wine merchant and a poet and  had been asked by a parish priest to write a Christmas poem.

It is a beautiful carol, hymn and prayer.
Below is the direct English translation of the poem which was composed in French, the English version of the carol 'O Holy Night' is not a direct translation. 

Midnight, Christians, it's the solemn hour,
When God-man descended to us
To erase the stain of original sin
And to end the wrath of His Father.
The entire world thrills with hope
On this night that gives it a Savior.
People kneel down, wait for your deliverance.
Christmas, Christmas, here is the Redeemer,
Christmas, Christmas, here is the Redeemer!
The ardent light of our Faith,
Guides us all to the cradle of the infant,
As in ancient times a brilliant star
Conducted the Magi there from the orient.
The King of kings was born in a humble manger;
O mighty ones of today, proud of your grandeur,
It is to your pride that God preaches.
Bow your heads before the Redeemer!
Bow your heads before the Redeemer!
The Redeemer has overcome every obstacle:
The Earth is free, and Heaven is open.
He sees a brother where there was only a slave,
Love unites those that iron had chained.
Who will tell Him of our gratitude,
It's for all of us that He is born,
That He suffers and dies.
People stand up! Sing of your deliverance,
Christmas, Christmas, sing of the Redeemer,
Christmas, Christmas, sing of the Redeemer!

10 comments:

  1. I love this song.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has always been one of my favorite Christmas songs as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely song, thank you for sharing. Bless you dear

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful! I didn't know the history of the song, and the poem is so powerful! thanks for sharing this with everyone.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a non-Christian this is the first time I am hearing that song.. amazing and Celine has such a wonderful voice.
    And thanks for showing empathy with my aunt and Mom. Looking back I feel so sorry for them. I was a brat to deal with….

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for the information, it was very interesting and the song was fantastic.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for asking about David. He is doing well. We praise GOD for allowing him more time with his family. He is in the very early stages and they say this is good...he should be able to live a good while.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard Celine sing that. Very lovely. I need to start playing the Christmas music!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  9. This song made me cry! And thanks for the info.
    First time here, so peaceful blog.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A favorite of mine for many years. Perhaps you might enjoy the Revalation song by Kari Jobe.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...