May 19, 2010

A Day in the Life..... coping yet not.!

The days seem to move by fast, the exams are over for now. Last weekend, I took the kids out after breakfast.  Crazy ! Yes, since the HEAT has been excessive.
I thought, let's get them out of the house for a while before it gets too hot (which is an understatement) and away from the Gameboys,  game consols and PC, I'm sure you get the picture. 
I also thought it would be good for me,  provided I could also have an air-conditioned suit made. A few hours wouldn't kill me, we'd be back after lunch. What I needed and what I've been needing for a while now, is some quiet.

I took them to the beach for a couple of hours, one rode a bike and the other two roller bladed and of course there was much complaining after that - skin abrasions,  this too tight and that worn out and .. muscles aching .. , . goodness I thought what are they going to be like at 30 !. 
I sat by myself in the warm shade, read some but mostly observed the beach, the water,  people and dogs around me. I got my quiet for a couple of hours, when the kids were off on their jaunt, but it was not enough;  I don't think I really sank into it..

Lately the buzz at home gets to me. Sometimes I can't seem to organise the kids. The moment I step into the house, they bombard me with narratives, instructions from school, their itinerary for the day , the next day and 'can I do this' and 'can I go to a friend's house tomorrow or can I go to the park etc etc etc. Mostly it's late, and I 'handle it' , and try to cover as much ground with them. Time seems to be my worst enemy like a stalker.  
I forget I'm in charge but go with the flow of what needs to get done. And then,  every  1 out of 2 nights, there will be two (any) who get noisy and quarrelsome among themselves,  and all I want to do is yell at them and chase them to bed.

Little things just add to the irritation - untidy desk, books not stored away, loose stationery etc.  I just deal and cope with it.  I 'm tired, I try to read to get away, ignore the buzz, but am not relaxed.

You know what they say about repressing emotions, sooner or later it will find an out.

I don't know if this situation is unique or quite common. I suppose it is time for a time-out but some action is needed as well .

8 comments:

  1. As I read your post, I kept thinking, 'good on you for taking them out of school, at least for a while and taking them to the beach'. Sometimes it's small events like this that stick forever in our minds as we grow older.

    Many thanks for such an honest post.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need a bit of time to yourself. Maybe you can come up with something all of you would enjoy and refresh yourselves doing. Even something small. It's funny the things kids remember. It's not always what you think they will hold as memories.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all need some time for ourselves. 3 kids is a handful. "Have a break, have a kit kat" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need a break, sometimes.
    Blessings,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some awards for you!
    Pls stop by!!!
    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOu got a surprise waiting for you in my blog

    http://wanderer-onestep.blogspot.com/2010/05/award-after-long-hiatus.html.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping for calmer days for you dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the support and the pleasant surprises..
    I hope lovely people have a good weekend.
    BM

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...