Feb 19, 2010

A Day in the Life - Fighting negativity daily..

What goes up must come down. My blog is starting to read like that,  my emotions swinging up then down with each post. That's the result of striving to keep positive and resisting the urge to 'relax' into depression.
Who says a mother's life is fulfilling. Not today. Oh yeah, it certainly is full and filling but not in the positive sense of the expression.  We have to be actors much of the time, we cannot be what we feel like being, we have to put on a happy face when we are not, be cheerful when when we are depressed and  exhibit super powers despite fatigue. We have to be constant role models. (OK I 'm ranting, so sue me!.)

Staying optimistic is getting tougher around my second child . When did he become so extremely negative and pessimistic? (I suppose I can blame his father for it, him and his vile tongue). Much of my time, is spent trying to reroute his defeatist attitude, it takes an enormous amount of energy to overpower his negative comments and statements and to stay patient and positive.  If anything else for the sake of the other two kids, I need to stay positive and keep my spirits up (as much as I feel I want to wallow and stay upset.!).

Since the start of school, I have been getting more and more wound up with this child. He's going to be 13, will he outgrow it soon, I doubt it. And it is affecting  the other two kids. Every task (homework) which involves self-expression, or appears voluminous is a humongous task. The fear seems to overwhelm him. The moment he is faced with such work that 'seems' hard or hits an obstacle, his reaction is an instant depression, 'I cannot' , 'I won't be able to finish it in time'..'I don't know how',  'I 'll just die' even before he has begun. He says there is 'no hope' for him. Yes, he can be quite dramatic without trying.  He can't finish a book to get out his review in time, and yet he will persist in procrastinating and compound his own stress.  Does he realise it,  yes he is aware but cannot take charge of it and does not seem to want to be helped.  The more upset or insistent (getting work done) I get, the more stubborn he becomes.

I came home this evening to the same situation, I know I am loosing(wearing down)! Don't be mistaken, I'm not giving in yet.
I'm telling myself now to stop and review. I need to do something different, change my moves to gain his attention ?  I'm thinking this can't go on, what are my options and his ?  Should I send him for one of those motivational classes for kids or counseling , I'm not sure if it would help but it won't hurt and I won't know if I don't try something.
He has his 'successful' moments but they are rare and few between to help boost his confidence or make a dent in his attitude.

I know...  some miracles take time.

He is like a very uneven boulder that I have to keep pushing up a steep mountain. 
I have taken to praying especially more for this boy; after all who else can I turn to. I hope He will eventually hear me and offer some HELP.

7 comments:

  1. I think we all learn differently...hands on works really good for some kids and keeps their interest but schools are less likely to do that. I feel for your son. Hang in there. It's a learning for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Mom!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a parent is so tough sometimes.

    I wonder if your son's age has something to do with it; he's just entering into all the teen hormones and this affects everyone differently. But the teen years can definitely be trying.

    May the Lord bless you with His presence, joy, and strength today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the support, I know it could be hormones, but then this has been happening for some time. It's a question of should I just leave him and let him outgrow it. What if he does not and it gets worst?
    The other two kids do not have this attitude, just this boy, so I am praying it's not that bad, it's just a phase... a very tirng wearing me-down phase !.

    Peace to you all.

    BM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, It might be also something that he is the middle one. Not the first, older child and not the cute youngest one. He has to "prove" himself every day (that is what he thinks). It is so hard to be optimistic and positive. Tell him how good he is, what a joy he is and so on. And assist him when he thinks he fails. There is probably also one little side there: He is asking for attention. He gets it every time when he is so negative.
    Good luck. I like your blog. Your way of writing is very appealing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being Me, I don't have any children but I am well aware of how difficult that age is for teens. Maybe you should encourage him , and at this point I am with Ellen.
    He needs more attention, maybe? Wishing you good luck!
    I love reading your posts.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Blessings
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous21/2/10

    Some kids just need a little more hand holding than others, your boy may not want it but might need it.

    Praying for you and him.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...