Nov 27, 2009

Taking the Ordinary for Granted

Over the years in meeting with different kinds of individuals you learn that nothing can be a norm even living within the same society,  in other words I should not take anything for granted..

- riding on 2 wheels - I learnt that when I was a kid with other kids, but I have friends who cannot. I couldn't imagine that (I was shocked) and then I thought about it. The reason is simple, they grew up without a bicycle, there was no opportunity for one among themselves or their neighbours, I had my neighbours bicycle to borrow and scratch my knees with. When I taught years ago, we brought in a couple of bicycles to teach those who did not have the opportunity. There's nothing like moving and balancing on your own steam and riding with the wind in your face.  To me, riding a 2-wheeler should be an elemental part of growing up years.

- swimming - I didn't learn it til I was in my late 30s. I had a colleague who laughed, and thought we were joking when we mentioned we wanted to arrange for an instructor. My colleague of the same age, couldn't believe that, why because she learnt it in school and everyone else she grew up with could. I think many of us couldn't afford such luxuries in those days. But I think I appreciate the fact more than she does.

- having a child that always takes one of the top 3 positions in the school every year for the past 13 years. My colleague takes her child for granted. She does not check on his school work.  She cannot understand why I take so much time out to spend with the kids over study and yet they are never near the top. Well she is lucky, and she complains he doesn't focus.  How does that happen? He just is smart.  Wow I can't imagine what life would be like, living with such a child.

- eating chocolates. Years ago when I taught, I had 1 student who had never had a chocolate. When he stood to tell his story about what foods they had never eaten before, the rest of the class laughed. I was shocked.  It was not that he could not afford it, but it was because his parents had forbidden it, they were against it for unknown health reasons.  Is it possible to go through life without ever tasting chocolates?

- watching TV.  I have a couple of friends married to each other and who are doctors; and when they had kids they decided they would not allow their kids to watch TV because of 'bad influence' and it 'distracts learning', something like that. I thought to myself 'poor kids'. I cannot imagine that for a kid. Anyway they had changed their minds by the time the oldest child was 11 or 12. The reason was because it had made no difference to the child's learning capability. If anything they weren't sure if it was the reason she was not as smart as mummy or daddy.  My kids cannot imagine that. Well it take all sorts doesn't it... 

- I have 3 kids, we tried and we had. Seemed simple  I know of at least six different women friends and colleagues who tried but could not and still do not have any kids. That is sad. I cannot imagine what that would be like. I am grateful.

- climbing a tree. My boys have never really climbed a tree, but I have. It is a memorable experience.  Have you?

I suppose there are many more things that we each take for granted.

6 comments:

  1. Great list! Those things we can easily take for granted may be very difficult for others...those are indeed our greatest blessings!
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous27/11/09

    This is so true, I take my yearly vacations for granted. Recently I discovered a colleague who has never travelled beyond the sea. She always listens but never talks about trips. I discovered it accidentally and now feel like a schmuck for talking about my wonderful times around her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous, don't feel too bad, you didn't know right. So many little things that we could be insensitive about, but we'll never guess it. You are right to point travel vacations as sthg taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very thoughtful of you BM. As for me I loved my cycling quite a lot but had to give it up because of family pressures. Learned to swim just two years ago ;). No TV at present but I don't miss it much. Never been a TV buff. I am not sure what I take for granted at times but I know for very sure that I never take my kids for granted .... They mean the world to me..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice's post reminded me of my denim jeans story - that's something I could never take for granted. I couldn't enjoy them til I was earning my own money. I was 16 when I used my own savings to buy my first pair on the sly.. Cos everyone else was wearing jeans to outings except me..
    My folks are conservative .. what can I say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally, what we take for granted is endless. That our parents will be here forever, our job will here for us till we retire, our health will sustain us... Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...