Nov 23, 2009

Defending the Motherhood - plainly speaking...


In one of our studies for a project a while back we came across a lady who was a mother and wife and yet would not recommend marriage to the young or persuade them to have kids. I had talked about this in my earlier post on Family, it's a controversial subject today, arising out of a declining local population.  Most of the responses from men and women were mostly neutral and politically correct.

There was this one particular lady that stood out because she was probably the most pragmatic person in that group with her response. She did not talk about love and rewarding experiences. She used to teach until she had her first child.  She said that the young today have no patience. They have most awareness for themselves only. They have enjoyed life too much in their early age. How would they last in a partnership, how would they look after their child. I don't believe they can make that sacrifice. Especially young women.
For her own experience, she had found it a hard road but by sheer will, she made the sacrifice because it was expected and it was the right thing to do and they(husband and wife) had wanted kids. Her spouse, yes they were still married, she felt did not have to sacrifice and do as much, because they are not expected to or they did not feel the compulsion because they did not bear the child, eventhough they were his too. The responsibility was heavier on her. On hindsight, would she go through that again? No she would not. But don't mistake her " l love my children, I wouldn't turn back the clock" and her voice held a passion describing how they filled her life. She continued that many young people have had a taste of seeing the world, why would they stop themselves from more. Cost of living is high, as a couple even higher, add children in the mix and 'lifestyle is severely curtailed'. There was no bitterness in her tone that I could read.

No one argued or agreed with her. They were quite stunned by her response. She was not regretting the kids, she was regretting not having been able to live more. She also sounded like she was defending a cause. I suppose that was what it was about, young people should get married and have children for the right reasons, but by their own choosing and not because of  public campaigns and incentives.

Is it too harsh, are our youth really that materialistic. There was a lot of insight in her statements and hit home reality of thoughts of my own trials. After you take away the frills, it is in truth a vocation one must desire and be prepared to be responsible for at all costs - with sacrifice. You have to climb that mountain first, all the way to enjoy the reward at the peak.

We do lots for Love and therein lies the reward. As Mother Teresa said, that is what we will be judged on at the end - how much we love and not how many successes we scored or how much of the world we had seen.

7 comments:

  1. I love this post! And I enjoy being a Mom..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The youth today will learn their lessons soon enough and change... I can the see the difference between my generation and present one. As a mother of teen boy I am sometimes shocked by few ideas these youngsters carry but I have to admit they are right at times. Hope people will not totally give up on bringing up kids...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous24/11/09

    In a way she is right, the youth have a lot less to enjoy if they set up home. From the perspective of what they enjoy today... less family more material..do they see it as something to aspire to have..It's the way life has panned out, I cannot totally lay the fault on them.
    Like the title.. gooo Mothers..
    TL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aynzan, yes thank you, so do I. Life would be extremely dull...
    Hi Farila, thank you, 'shocked' oh yes! I hope the young see there is more to life..
    Hi TL - there is no right or wrong, you go with what life you've seen, your perspective sounds young..(am I right?) :)
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being a mom. I learn for my girls all the time. They teach me what's really important. Take gentle care. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous25/11/09

    gee how did you guess.. I am very. :) ..TL

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's totally true, our youth today are materialistic. They have no care for anyone else except themselves ... or is it just being young. What kind of man or woman would they grow up to be? I hope to set clear directions for my boy, hopefully he would not stray too far. With kindness and charity in his heart, I hope he would and could go a long way. Bless you

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...