Nov 2, 2009

No change please

Imagine an angel came into your dream and asked you,
'pick one moment of your life in the past that you would like to change'.

I remember the moment. I was away on holiday with my folks, sitting by the beach on a rock, I had been thinking about my 'courtship' which was a couple of years old then.  In that moment I had had second thoughts about his(my husband's) suitability, 'rightness' for me.  But I retreated from those thoughts and did not dwell deeper.  Is that what they mean by the callowness of youth?

IF nothing else will change,  I would choose to change how my thoughts proceeded at that moment in time. 
But that would be impossible unless I forget all else that I have to be thankful for now because of that moment.   So dear Angel, I do not wish to change.

Our instincts work perfectly, we only see it in hindsight,  ....  it's just that our hearts don't always sync with our brain.  Life's like that, we know what must be done in our heads but the heart, is it stronger or does it just lag behind?  Maya Angelou(poet) is right to have said  'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel'.
So why would the angel ask me this?  Perhaps that's a sign - to purge that moment,  a gentle reminder to STOP dwelling on the past because now I know I would not change it. 

Voltaire said 'Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.' and he is right too.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Nice Post! I have a moment or two in my past which I have dwelt on in this way too. I have come to realize over the years that your advice about letting it go...is the only way to cope with what is sometimes an overwhelming sense of disappointment for what "could have been" if I had made different choices once upon a time. The only active thing which can be done now is to hopefully guide my own children away from similar mistakes in their lives without being controlling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for sharing, I enjoy your post. :)

    Moon

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness this sound so familiar. I would and should pursued that thought at that time. Maybe I would find a man who would kiss the ground I walk on. Well things do happen for a reason. Sure hope the reasons comes clear to me soon. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/11/09

    I remember a moment in time that forever changed my path. I would redo that. There were no blessings as a consequence of it except bad memories. I would take that wish to change my current path.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never dwell on that .. tried that so many times and things are connected in such a way that we have to accept the bad part of our lives too..

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...