Apr 15, 2010

Altruism ... is it dead?

'altruism is dead' .. someone said this and set me thinking....
Can anyone be truly altruistic?  Me thinks, it is impossible. 
It is defined as selfless concern for the welfare of others.

A lady on the train gives up her seat to the pregnant one. She didn't do it spontaneously, she did it because 3 pairs of eyes were boring into her and I think that made her uncomfortable.
There are times when I think that I would rather not sit at all, 'just let someone else have it'. That's not being altruistic, I 'm just avoiding the hassle of relaxing and then having to give it up to someone. 

Is it possible in this day and age to be kind for kindness sake. Morality and courtesy are preached as correct and appropriate behaviour.   Is there an expectation of future returns as they say 'one good turn deserves another'.  We constantly seem to look ahead.

When I buy someone a cup of tea, do they feel obliged, do I expect them to feel obliged? 
When someone buys me a cup of tea, I do feel obliged.  Can I forget it, and treat it as an altruistic offer ?.

8 comments:

  1. I've experienced lots of kindness from others...and want to give back because of it. I think the kindness given to us...teaches us to treat others like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, I am glad it is alive for you.

    Is it possible to give without any expectation of return;at the end I want to feel good for it and because of it and almost sounds selfish...

    Thank you, have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful post that is so uplifting. Thank you for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good thinking on your part .. I think as long as there are moms there will be altruism.. not only for their own children but everyone around them. Also we can see it in many ways around us. People have helped me without expecting anything back ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learnt altruism to strangers when I was in 10. I took a bus home with my best friend and she gave up her seat to an elderly man. I was so dumb then, never thought to do that. For some reason, I was too shy to do it. Since that incident, I have learnt not to be afraid to care, especially to strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this post, BM! Altruism! hmmmm! We live in a strange and cruel world. However there are some sparks of altruism in people no matter if they are moms or not.
    I 've experienced lots of kindness from others and I love to help people most in need without expecting anything back.
    Blessings!
    Betty xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came back for another read. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think altruism isn't dead, but neither does it just come naturally. However, similarly to what Sarah is saying here, people have been very kind and giving toward me throughout my life and that encourages me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...