Oct 29, 2009

Grading Mummy


My youngest son and I were talking about how his teacher grades his essays.  I was trying to explain the term 'criteria'.  He went  'mmm I guess vocabulary and grammar',  yes an ideas too I added,  how interesting his composition is, makes a difference. 
Somehow we moved to grading his teacher. At first he said ten out of ten, I prodded him and asked him his 'criteria'.. 'his reasons'.  He thought about it out loud and decided she was not perfect, she did not know everything (cause she didn't know the plural for ox was oxen !! ). His teacher got downgraded to six out of ten (oops!).
Then we moved to 'sister' - she was happy to hear him give her a grade of  eight out of ten. I tried to get her 'marked down' ..with criteria (evil grin !!, she glared at me)  Obviously sister was not that 'bad' to him.  I think it's because she shares her IPod with him eventhough she does yell at him from time to time.
Brother did not fare that well, although I suspect at a different time or day his grading would have improved.

Finally we came to Mummy, here I was thinking perhaps I should have picked a better time, I had been 'nagging' him the whole morning about the ills of procrastination to get him to finish his homework. 
But,  he gave me a ten out of ten.  Of course to be fair,  I prodded him with reminders and a chance to re-think, I tried  (really did!) to get him to lower my grade, but (happily for me)  he remained firm, brushed aside anything else I attempted to bring up.
It's a wonderful feeling to be unconditionally loved inspite of our imperfections.

5 comments:

  1. What a gem! He's a keeper!
    Have a BOO-tea-FUL weekend. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh thats why kids make our lives so much better. Not always easier but better. They accept you for who you are. Don't judge and love you unconditionally. Its a wonderful thing. Read my post about the falling leaves, you will like it. Have a good night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Success.. Doesn't that moment make all the weight you carried, the nausea, the labour, the sleepless nights, worry, dirty floors everything worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry too fast with my clicks. Was saying that my boy would have given me a 7. He tells it like it is, perhaps its because I have always told him I am not perfect. I am only HUMAN. God bless you and your bunch.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...