Aug 29, 2009

Is it true the good die young?

My child was sick recently and with the recent H1N1 taking a toll, it worried me and started me along the road of maudlin thoughts and fears.

I knew 3 persons who had died around the age of 50. These persons were good people for various reasons – their attitudes to friends, colleagues and family. Why does God do that, especially when some of them had young children who would miss them terribly.
But when I look closer at each of these individuals, I realize they each had a greater depth to their inner being.

One lived quite selflessly first for his 5 younger siblings, he became a ‘mum’ of sorts when she died early; and then he lived selflessly for his 3 kids, keeping his troubles to himself always making others laugh. He died of a sudden heart failure (without prior illness) but he managed to speak to his wife in the last few minutes before he passed.
Another, was an uncle who prayed fervently, was active in church (like he was searching for something) and yet I knew even though he had a wife and child - was not happy. Yet he too showed us a happy face. The third was a colleague who was a very creative soul but had a little darkness to her character, which she displayed through dressing like Leticia (Adam’s family mother, always wore black lipstick) and was quite insightful in conversations with people around her. And she too was always smiling, joking, no matter how tough the work day was, never a melancholy sort in front of others.
If MJ’s death had not been how we know it now, he too would have fallen into this category, we know he was a persecuted soul yet he too had a different face for the world.

Is it that the heart gives out or the soul that has had enough or that Greater Goodness who decides that they have reached their limit of their human essence ? Someone once said they believed that some souls are temporary, are only on this earth to fulfill a higher purpose – to affect the lives of others.
How does one explain the passing of a young child. Why does God do that to mothers?

6 comments:

  1. Sean Ean is 3 1/2 yrs. old forever, I am his Mother. There are no answer, despite all the questions of 'whys' we cast to our almighty. We have to believe that He had the need for our son to join Him & His children. The pain is daily forever ... it softens over time, but you live life with your child daily in your heart & soul.

    He holds us up still in our weakest moments.

    Have a beautiful weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me share a poem with you in my blog it touches on our angel child and why God need them back early. It helped me when the Lord, took my little boy back with him. It sustained me, but it was God's presence that made life a joy (on spiritual terms)

    On MJ's life, he had given so much but never really gotten what he truly needed and wanted in return. Perhaps God looked at him and said "Enough is enough Michael, come home" I am grateful he died the way he did. He did not suffer. He simply slept through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for sharing, I'm sorry for the loss you have had and the brief life to love.. what grief !
    Gaia - thank you for the beautiful poem.

    It's about faith.
    God knows best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your post and have my own views and beliefs about why lives are cut short. Perhaps we need to understand that it is not for us to decide when a human being has fulfilled their destiny when God calls them home. Only He knows the time of passing for each and every one of us. It's very tragic when a child is taken so young and personally I can't imagine the pain and anguish that a parent goes through when they lose a child so young because it's never happened to me. I do believe that no matter the age a human being is here for a certain purpose, whether it be to change a person's life for the better or to bless a person in some way. God has created each of us for a purpose and when that purpose has been fulfilled He calls us home. Humans have put a timeline on when a life is fulfilled but ultimately it's God's timeline that decides when a life is fulfilled. Though this may be hard to understand we must also know that it's not our understanding, but it's God's understanding. I hope my words helped you! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry for my light comment on this weighty issue but I have come across this question many times and always say
    If I grow old then I will not agree to it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Farila, I have to agree with you ....:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...