Aug 31, 2009

A Day in the life ..child vs me vs petulance

I always have to give in!

On Sunday, my youngest was acting up because of his father's advise.
A couple hours later, he was sitting quietly doing a maze puzzle, so I thought I'd broach the topic. I didn't ask him a question, I wanted to talk to him and suggest something but he just refused to hear or let me proceed.

My son took out his grouchiness on me because he could. I thought to myself, I don't deserve this. 'Fine' I said to him, 'you don’t want to talk to me, I won’t talk to you.'

I decided I wanted to be petty.

A couple of hours later I came back from the supermarket, I bought him lozenges for his throat and passed them to him, he asked what flavour and for about 40sec he talked to me about flavours before I remembered ‘hey I’m not supposed to talk to you and you don’t want to talk to me remember?’ He said ‘But I want to talk to you’.
I said ‘No, it can't work that way’ but he insisted laughingly, so ok ... thought I, let’s try the same topic.

So, it appears that at the time, he was still choking on the advise his father gave him and just did not want to hear me. So the lesson.. don’t get to the touchy subject immediately, work around it, assess child’s mood then get to it.

So I always have to give in, sigh.. some days are tougher than others.

4 comments:

  1. Agreed. Sometimes we work like that. We're caught up in that situation, and processing it internally the best we can, and we need some time to get that processing done. You're generally a communicator, probably. You see the value in talking things out. It's tough sometimes to wait it out, but often it works out better in the long run.

    My heart goes out to you. :-) I have rough days with my boys too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is truly amazing that we can survive parenthood with any amount of sanity left in tact! I certainly have had plenty of moments where my kid's stubbornness threatens to send me over the edge! WE can only do our best to make it through. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm is that interesting good or interesting bad..?
    .. it's that guilt that steals its way into oneself about setting a bad example..isn't it. Telling myself - I'm allowed !..
    Thanks for the input. God Bless

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...