Dec 29, 2009

Give a Hug , collect a Hug today



I have been making a deliberate effort to hug my kids more often but it does not come so naturally because I was not brought up on it. Simple for many.
My folks were a traditional sort, 'me parent you child.... don't talk till you are asked something '. In fact. talking was rare then...we were not encouraged to be expressive.

Hugging is something that is relatively new to me that started in church among friends. And since then the practise has spread some but among the rest of society here it is still a rare deed.
But I am of a different generation that 'should know better',  I realise and observe this in other families too, that it is very much a two way thing.  I shall have to try harder, so that the kids will follow suit more comfortably.
I have been advised that this will reduce their tensions and stress inspite of everything that is going on, ... it is the physical contact, a warmth that helps and so I must keep remembering to do so.
You give one and you get one back.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Hug does not come naturally to us...I have been given freedom to talk but the physical closeness was not something they encouraged and I did not practice it much until our USA visit.. things have been different since ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some how the past months I have been hugging a lot and not just my son, guess I am getting quite used to the touchy thingee now. Big (((Hgs))) for you too. Bless you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look how GOD is changing you....making you whole and complete..He is changing you so that the next generation (your children) feel loved and accepted.

    Blessings and "hugs,"
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous29/12/09

    Hugging is not easy for me. I cringe at the thought of it. What happened is I attended too many of my mother's side of the family Christmas's and it would take you a whole 10 min. to get from one room to the other, due to all the great-aunts and there outstretched arms. Ugh. Anyway, thanks for the post and I'll try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farila - yes it is a good practice and does wonders for siblings and children

    Gaia - you are right there, it's easy with friends, but I would like to hug the kids more often than the usual before bed time or before they go out so that it becomes comfortable.

    Andrea - you are so right, I never looked at it that way, I feel chirpier already.. :)

    Hello Marty, welcome and thanks, I never thought it possible to get too much of a good thing!!

    Love and 'hugs' back at you
    BM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to hugs. Sometimes though, it can be hard for me because of my past. But I do enjoy them still.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your post. It resonates so much with me. My mum always gave me hugs, my dad, not as many. I hug my children a lot. And I think that they've picked up on that because they emrbace us back, both my wife and me. We always have a morning hug when we have breakfast together.

    May 2010 bring loads of huge bear hugs for you and your family! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a note, thank you for stopping by, happy to have input and just know you hear me or even just to say hello.
Spam and junk will be removed.

Featured Post

You can't miss it if you didn't have it to begin with.

When I was growing up, hand-me-downs were common. And I don't mean from an older sister or cousin. I mean literally second hand clothes ...